How is the year almost over?
No, seriously, I have no idea how 12 months could go by so quickly. I feel like I say that every year, but this year has flown by especially quickly! It has been an incredibly full year for us: two trips to Europe, gut renovating almost our entire house, B got a new job. An incredibly blessed, whirlwind of a year! It was fun to go back & dig through thousands of photos & hundreds of post to assemble my favorites – my best – of 2015.
These were my 10 favorite Instagram photos from my account in 2015:
Reading on the Interwebs
The five best posts I’ve read written by others this year:
- This post by Talon over on 1 Dad 1 Kid has be itching to plan an Iceland road trip (thinking next July!)
- I’ve been reading Cup of Jo for a long time (I love her gift guides!), but thought this post on surviving a long flight had some great tips in it.
- I have never had a desire to visit L.A. until my friend Spencer Spellman moved there & started doing all these amazing, decidedly non-L.A. type things. This post has me ready to book a plane ticket.
- I always love reading about my friend Matt Long‘s adventures around the world, but this one in France combined two of my favorite things: kayaking & UNESCO sites.
- I’ve had some great adventures in my hometown & always look to see what Chris is doing over on Packed Suitcase because she is the queen of Mid-Atlantic travel. Frederick County, Maryland is seriously underrated, as Chris points out in this post.
It was also fun to go back & look at the 10 most popular posts on this blog this year – the posts that you all loved!
Cruising Myth vs Fact (Round Two) – sadly, round one did not make the cut!
Reading a Good ol’ Fashioned Book
I had the pleasure of fulfilling one of my new years resolutions this year: reading 12 books in 2015. Each one was unique – although many were travel narratives – & I’m glad to report that I enjoyed most of them. I also read four books by Bill Bryson, which must make the official president of his fan club or something. Here’s what I read in 2015:
The Martian (not usually my type of book, but everyone said I’d love it – & they were right! And no, I didn’t see the movie) Edit: I didn’t finish The Martian, but I am reading it & LOVING it. I did fulfill my goal of 12 books though with a quick, thought provoking professional development book recommended by my brother-in-law called QBQ! If you are a manager, you should read this book. If you have a manager, you should read this book. If you’re part of a team in any capacity in your professional life, you should read this book. If you work for yourself & interact with clients & vendors, you should read this book.
Notes from a Small Island (the book that started it all for Bill Bryson!)
A Year of Reading Dangerously (although I read the UK edition, so don’t blame me if the U.S. version is strange!)
The Road to Little Dribbling (I feel like I got a sneak peak, since I bought this book in the UK & it doesn’t come out in the U.S. until January!)
Turn Right at Machu Picchu (I never had much interest in visiting Machu Picchu… until I read this book)
What I Was Doing While You Were Breeding (probably my least favorite book I read this year)
The Great Gatsby (my favorite book – I read it every summer)
The Best American Travel Writing: 2014 (I’ve read this compilation for years…)
A Walk in the Woods (anyone want to quit their job & hike the AT with me?)
One Summer: America 1927 (probably my favorite book I read this year – a fascinating look at America during a three month period that changed our nation & the world)
The Happiness of Pursuit: Finding the Quest That Will Bring Purpose to Your Life (I might read this book every January; it was so motivating!)
Paris Was Ours (short snippets on daily life in Paris – perfect commute reading because you can read a chapter at a time)